The Official North Padre Alliance Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Searching for What Knows What" by Donald Miller

5 posters

Go down

"Searching for What Knows What" by Donald Miller Empty "Searching for What Knows What" by Donald Miller

Post  Deep Throat Daisy Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:49 am

"Searching for What Knows What" by Donald Miller Searchingfor

I'm can't stress this book enough. The chapter "Children of Chernobyl" scratched a twenty year old itch.

"Imagine how much a man's life would be changed if he trusted that he was loved by God? He could interact with the poor and not show partiality, he could love his wife easily and not expect her to redeem him, he would be slow to anger because redemption was no longer at stake, he could be wise and giving with his money because money no longer represented points, he could give up on formulaic religion, knowing that checking stuff off a spiritual to-do list was a worthless pursuit, he would have confidence and the ability to laugh at himself, and he could love people without expecting anything in return. It would be quite beautiful, really." - Donald Miller (Searching for God Knows What)
Deep Throat Daisy
Deep Throat Daisy
Admin

https://northpadrealliance.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

"Searching for What Knows What" by Donald Miller Empty Re: "Searching for What Knows What" by Donald Miller

Post  Smoothy Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:10 pm

I happened to read this thread before I went to Barnes and Noble last night. I happened to walk past this book and stopped and picked it up.I also picked up this gem.

"Searching for What Knows What" by Donald Miller 41zf6u10
Smoothy
Smoothy

Back to top Go down

"Searching for What Knows What" by Donald Miller Empty Re: "Searching for What Knows What" by Donald Miller

Post  Deep Throat Daisy Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:19 pm

Smoothy wrote:I happened to read this thread before I went to Barnes and Noble last night. I happened to walk past this book and stopped and picked it up.I also picked up this gem.

Let me know what you think of that Donald Miller book. The other one looks interesting. I wonder which one he is attempting more, the Old Testament or the New. Old would be hard as hell.
Deep Throat Daisy
Deep Throat Daisy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Potty Patty Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:26 pm

Deep Throat Daisy wrote:
Smoothy wrote:I happened to read this thread before I went to Barnes and Noble last night. I happened to walk past this book and stopped and picked it up.I also picked up this gem.

Let me know what you think of that Donald Miller book. The other one looks interesting. I wonder which one he is attempting more, the Old Testament or the New. Old would be hard as hell.

I believe old, at least all I know about it is with that aspect. He didn't cut his beard, tried following the dietary laws, etc, etc, etc.
Potty Patty
Potty Patty

Back to top Go down

Post  Deep Throat Daisy Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:07 am

Here is the link to the Wikipedia information on that book:
"The Year of Living Biblically" by A.J. Jacobs

"For the first nine months, from August to May, he followed the rules in the Old Testament and immersed himself in Jewish culture before focusing on Christianity and the New Testament in the final three months."
Deep Throat Daisy
Deep Throat Daisy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoothy Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:39 pm

Yeah he covers both testaments of the Bible and he also looks at books like the Torah to try to find the origins of some of the rules and laws in the Bible. It is really mostly a comedy and has been pretty consistently hilarious so far.
Smoothy
Smoothy

Back to top Go down

Post  Flower Mound Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:23 pm

I just started reading "searching for god knows what". I am on chapter five now, so far i am really liking the book. It seems to tie together a lot of recent thoughts I havce been having, he's tieing them all together. I really like his stance on taking God out of this box we have put him in with rules and regulations, the "formula" god that we have known for so long. Still got a long way to go in my spiritual life, a long fucking way, but i feel like i am going somwhere...
Flower Mound
Flower Mound

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoothy Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:25 pm

I totally agree with you Morrison, the book is tieing alot of things together for me too. He says so many things that I've felt for a while, but haven't been able to quite undestand or link together. I think after I finish it I will go back and reread the bible with these new ideas in mind.
Smoothy
Smoothy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sugarcane Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:12 am

I will be barrowing this book for Smoothy when he is finished
Sugarcane
Sugarcane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sugarcane Thu May 08, 2008 9:30 am

Ok so i started reading this book. I just finished the first chapter last night. Wow. This so far, is an amazing book. I can't wait to finish it. I love how he takes God away from the formula. As long as I can remember you were a christian by formulas.
Sugarcane
Sugarcane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down